Workout boredom is when you no longer feel any excitement in your workouts. There are at least 8 potential reasons why is working out so boring.
Maybe the workouts themselves have become too easy and don’t challenge the individual anymore. Or maybe the gym environment isn’t particularly stimulating or inspiring.
Perhaps an individual has simply been doing the same routine for too long without variation.
Occasionally, boredom can even strike when someone is working out with a partner or in a group setting and begins to feel as though they are not measuring up.
No matter what the root cause of boredom may be there is always a solution.
In this article, we will discuss ways you can deal with workout boredom.
7 Ways to Overcome Boredom with Exercise:
Try one or more of the 7 strategies below to add the fun back into your workouts:
1. Change up your Routine
It’s easy to get into a workout rut. Especially when you’re doing the same thing day in and day out. Not only is this uninspiring, but it can also lead to burnout.
If you’re finding yourself in this situation, it might be time to change things up.
There are plenty of ways to add variety to your workouts and avoid boredom. Here are a few ideas: –
- Try a new class at the gym or studio
- Take your workout outside
- Switch up your routine weekly or monthly
- Add some strength training to your routine
2. Find a friend to work out with
One of the main reasons people stop working out is because they get bored with the routine. This is especially common when people are working out alone.
A great way to combat this is to find a friend to work out with. Not only will you have someone to keep you accountable, but you’ll also have someone to chat with and make the time go by faster.
3. Get creative with your workouts
If you’re like most people, you probably dread your workouts because they’re so repetitive. But there’s no need to suffer through another mundane routine.
You can easily add some creativity and variety to your workouts to make them more fun and interesting. One way to do this is to change up your exercises every day.
This can be as simple as alternating between strength training and cardio on different days. Or, you can try different types of exercises altogether, such as Pilates one day, yoga the next, and then a cardio workout afterward.
You can also vary your routine by working out at different times of the day.
4. Change the intensity of your workout
If you’re getting bored with your regular workout routine, it’s time to switch things up. You can easily change the intensity of your workouts to add some variety and excitement.
Try adding some high-intensity interval training (HIIT) to your routine. This type of training involves alternating short bursts of high-intensity exercise with short periods of rest or low-intensity activity.
You can also transform your workout into a circuit. Do 3 to 4 exercises back to back with no breaks in between. Then rest for a minute and repeat the circuit again.
Make sure that you incorporate both upper and lower body exercises in a circuit so that you can get a full body workout.
5. Set up a new goal
Changing your goals is the best way to prevent boredom and continue making progress. Here are four simple steps to set new fitness goals:
- Choose a goal that’s challenging but achievable. If your goal is too difficult, you’ll quickly become frustrated and give up. But if it’s too easy, you won’t see any progress.
- Make a plan of action. Without a plan, it’s easy to get sidetracked or lose motivation. Flesh out your goal by developing a timeline and specific steps you’ll need to take to achieve it.
- Get support from others. Enlist your friends and family to help you stay on track, or find a supportive online community.
- Celebrate your successes! When you reach a milestone, take some time to reflect on your accomplishment and enjoy a little self-praise.
6. Try doing your normal exercises in different ways
One way to keep your workouts interesting is to replace the exercises that are getting boring. This can help you avoid boredom and make the most of your time in the gym.
It’s also a good way to target different areas of your body. For example, if you normally do squats, try lunges or deadlifts next time.
If you like to run, try doing high-intensity intervals instead.
And if you’re looking for something new altogether, there are plenty of workout videos on YouTube that you can replace the existing ones with.
And good thing is that those new exercises will give you similar benefits that a boring exercise was giving.
7. Remind yourself why you started working out in 1st place
Our attention spans are low. It’s very easy to stop doing something that we started with a lot of enthusiasm a few weeks ago.
When you first started working out, you probably had a lot of reasons for doing so. Maybe you wanted to lose weight, get stronger, or just feel better about yourself.
Whatever your reasons were, it’s important to remember them when you start to feel bored with your workout routine.
If you can keep your motivation focused on why you started working out in the first place, it will be easier to stick with your routine even when you’re feeling bored.
And if you ever find yourself struggling to get motivated, think back to those reasons and use them as inspiration to keep going.
You can remind yourself about your goals by writing them down. Do it using either a diary or a vision board. Put it on the wall or on a desktop screen.
Just anywhere you can see it and remind yourself why you started working on that goal.
Some other Workout Boredom Issues and their Solution:
1. How do I entertain myself while working out?
There are many ways to remain entertained while working out. Some of them are:
- don’t compare yourself to others
- workout with friends
- think about rewards of exercise while working out
- take photos of your progress
- workout outdoors
- compete with others in the gym
2. How can I make exercise more enjoyable?
There are many ways you can make exercise enjoyable. To list down a few, you can make exercise more enjoyable by:
- adding entertainment to it
- setting goals that are realistic
- trying different workout activities
- not comparing yourself to others
- choosing the right time to workout, and
- wearing better workout clothes and footwear
3. How long does it take to enjoy exercise?
Enjoying exercise has nothing to do with time. If you know your goals and the right road map to achieve the fitness goals, you will start enjoying it right from day 1.
More on this topic here.
That’s all in what is exercise boredom? Why it happens, and ways to deal with it.
If you found value in this article, please do share it on your social media.