To perform Tabata training using weights, use dumbbells weighing 2-10 pounds depending on your strength and fitness levels.
Since one session of Tabata training consists of 8 exercises, the 8 exercises we are going to recommend for a single session of Tabata will be enough to get done with for a day.
You can also perform 1 single exercise 8 times and get done with the day’s session of Tabata training with weights.
Listed below are the 8 examples of Tabata workouts with weights with a video tutorial of each workout:
1. Squat Curl Press and Stand
First exercise to attempt in Tabata workouts with weights is the squat curl press and stand.
- start by getting your feet about hips-width distance apart.
- squat down and bring the weights up in a movement from the shoulder, curling them upwards to touch your biceps.
- press the weights overhead and, as you come onto your feet, maintain a neutral spine. Only push yourself upright using your glutes and hamstrings.
- establish control, then lower the weight back to a squat.
Repeat these steps for as many times as possible in 20 seconds, then take a 10 seconds break and move on to the next exercise in Tabata training with weights.
Below is a video of how you can perform squat curl press and stand in Tabata workouts with weights:
2. Dumbbell Rear Lunges
In dumbbell rear lunges:
- grab a set of weights and stand straight.
- take one big step back and drop the knee.
- move back to starting position.
- repeat the steps above for 20 seconds as quickly as possible.
Below is a video of how you can perform dumbbell rear lunge in Tabata workouts with weights:
3. Squat With Overhead Press
In squad with overhead press:
- start by grabbing 5 to 10 pounds of dumbbells.
- bring them up to your shoulder height and stand with your feet with a hip width apart keeping the chest up and core tight.
- sit back in a squat position until your thighs are nearly parallel to the floor.
- then press through the heels and push the weights up overhead.
- repeat the process for 20 seconds in a quick manner.
Below is a video of how you can perform dumbbell squat and overhead press in Tabata workouts with weights:
4. Dumbbell Kickbacks
In dumbbell kickbacks:
- stand erect with abs tight and scapula retracted.
- hold a set of dumbbells by your sides.
- flex forward at your hips.
- keep the core muscles engaged and maintain a neutral spine.
- lift your elbows slightly higher than your torso.
- fix them there moving only at the elbows.
- extend the forarms back away from you.
- hold momentarily.
- flex at the elbows and bring the dumbbells back in.
- repeat until you reach volitional fatigue in the triceps or until your back needs a break from holding this posture.
Below is a video of how you can perform dumbbell kickbacks in Tabata workouts with weights:
5. Reverse Deep Lunge With Double Arm Row
In this exercise:
- pick your weights and start by standing straight bracing your core muscles.
- take a giant step backwards with your left foot and bring the weights in twice.
- do the same with your right foot backwards.
- repeat the steps for as many times as possible for 20 seconds.
Below is a video of how you can perform reverse deep lunge with double arm row in Tabata workouts with weights:
6. Hammer Curl With Power Squat
In hammer curl with power squat:
- pick your dumbbells.
- take a wide sumo stance.
- drop all the way down keeping your chest up and weights at front.
Below is a video of how you can perform hammer curl with power squat in Tabata workouts with weights:
7. Dumbbell Push-Up into a Row
For Dumbbell Push-Up into a Row:
- get down into a pushup position.
- get your feet a little bit wider than shoulder length to attain stability keeping the core nice and tight.
- go as down as you can like you usually do in a pushup.
- push up and row with one hand.
- go down again.
- pushup and row with the other hand.
- repeat the process for 20 seconds.
Below is a video of how you can perform dumbbell push-up into a row in Tabata workouts with weights:
8. Dumbbell High Rows
In dumbbell high rows:
- get into a Romanian dead lift position.
- load the hips back.
- hinge the torso forward.
- keep the palms back facing towards you.
- keep the movement with the elbow going out of the way throwing up and behind towards the ceiling.
Below is a video of how you can perform dumbbell high rows in Tabata workouts with weights.