There are several factors that make exercise boring. Maybe your gut feeling already knows what’s happening in your case, but you are here to confirm if it’s true or not, and how you can make things better.
Mostly exercise is boring because of repetition, slow progress, a constant requirement of self-discipline, wrong perception of healthy diets, and the continuous challenge between mind and willpower to not skip the day’s workout.
In short, the process of achieving fitness is boring.
It’s only the vision of the outcome that people really thrive on, and work towards otherwise, the reasons for boredom from exercise could be one or many.
It can also be the decline of motivation over time, boredom because of no visible progress, or even anything like serenity and tranquility in skipping the day’s workout.
As humans, especially modern-day humans, we get bored very easily. The desire for constant gratification and quick results is at its peak and we want all the goodies to happen right now.
But this is not how fitness works. It is important to understand that exercise is not some kind of a magic wand.
It works but it takes time. And it is very important for our health. And no matter whatever happens you have to find ways to keep yourself interested in working out.
Check out the 8 minutes video below from Mind Pump Show on what you can do to not feel bored during your workout:
8 Reasons Why Exercise Is Boring And Solutions To Each Of Them:
We all need to exercise for our health, but the best-laid plans fall short when our minds and bodies rebel! The solution? Find fun ways to make exercise more interesting.
Listed below are the 8 reasons why exercise is boring and ways you can fix it:
1. Exercise Is Boring Because Of Repetition
The biggest issue with exercise is that it’s repetitive, and people get bored when they do the same thing day in and day out.
If you hate doing the same exercises over and over again, mix up your exercises to make it less boring or better change your goals and change exercises.
It’s important to know that exercise will work only if done consistently, and your brain will be far more comfortable allowing you to exercise if there is flexibility in workouts.
The key part here is to keep things interesting without straying too far from your goals. When you keep your routine fun and exciting, it’s easier to stick with it!
Check out our detailed article on how to make exercise more enjoyable.
2. There Is No Apparent Benefit In Exercise
We all know that exercise is important, but the benefits can seem a bit intangible. To make sure you stick with it and keep your routine activities, you need to be able to visualize your progress.
Here are some of the ways you can track your progress and make sure you’re getting the results you’re looking for:
- Record your measurements – (weight, body fat percentage, waist size) before you start exercising. This will give you a baseline measurement so that you can make sure you’re seeing results over time.
- Use an app or website to track your progress – Record your workouts and food intake on an app or website. There are a lot of apps that can help you keep track of your workouts, like MapMyFitness and MyFitnessPal. There are also many websites that have calorie tracking tools, like MyNetDiary and LoseIt! Make sure you use the same app or website to track your progress so that you can compare over time.
- Take pictures every week – The only way to know if you’re making progress is to take pictures. Use the same camera and take the pictures at the same time of day. Make sure you’re in similar clothing and use a similar background.
- Use your favorite social media platform – There are a lot of apps out there that will let you post your progress on Facebook or Instagram, like myfitnesspal or fitocracy . You can also make a blog, but I prefer posting on social media because it’s easier.
3. Gym Is Boring
Basically there are 9 reasons why gym is boring but generally speaking, gym is boring because exercising there is not ideal for beginners.
If your gym has a bad reputation, it’s probably because of the crowd that goes there.
Not everyone can get along, and the competitive nature of many gyms can be overbearing to new people.
Instead of heading to a gym with a bad reputation, you should consider joining a community sports club.
These clubs are ideal if you want to exercise in a social environment while meeting different kinds of people.
Most people who join these clubs are friendly and welcoming, which is just what you need when you’re starting.
4. Exercise Is Boring Because It’s Silent
Most workouts are boring anyway. Be it the monotony of the treadmill, the pain of lifting weights, or the loneliness of long runs. They are all boredom in silence.
But if you layer up your workouts with music or podcasts, it can be a game-changer. Not only will you work out more but also you will enjoy the experience of workouts because it’s no more boredom in silence.
Podcasts especially can be a game-changer because once you took a taste of it, you will realize that while running or lifting weights you won’t need a distraction like music anymore.
Instead, you could listen to a fitness podcast and learn something about health and fitness that would motivate you for more workouts.
5. People Get Bored Easily
Modern humans are lazy. They avoid doing things that require effort for a longer period of time. In that regard, the whole process of achieving fitness is boring.
With this in mind, if you don’t make exercise fun, you will prefer not to do it. In order to make exercise fun, you have to make it competitive.
You are more likely to play a game of basketball with friends because there is something at stake.
Winning there will give you bragging rights for the next few days.
Or maybe you just want to play in a way that’s energetic and fun. In that case, having a workout buddy can help you from getting bored.
6. You Don’t Know The Exercises To Achieve Your Fitness Goals
The way you learn about nutrition is the same way you learn about exercise: trial and error.
There are thousands of websites, books, and magazines with different workouts and diets, but most people don’t have time to sift through all of the information or try them all out.
That’s why a goal-oriented fitness app will be more useful if you don’t know what exercises are good for you to keep you on track of achieving your fitness goals, and keep you away from boredom.
7. You Feel Tired And Have No Energy To Exercise
You should not feel this way. After a good night’s sleep and complete breakfast, you should be able to get through the day with no problems.
But somehow many people just don’t have enough energy during the day to exercise.
No matter how hard you try, there are always reasons why you can not exercise.
To solve this problem, do not think about how much energy you need to run or do an intense workout at the gym.
Instead of thinking so much about what we can not do, let’s focus on what we can do. Even if it is just 10 minutes of walking around.
8. Your Friends Keep On Nagging You To Join Them For Dinner, Parties, And Drinks
Some people find it difficult to stay motivated enough to keep going. It’s not just the physical activity itself, but also the social aspect of exercising that can be discouraging.
Your friends keep on nagging you to join them for dinner, parties, and drinks.
Exercise needs to be more fun if we want people to do it more often.
One way this can happen is by making exercise take up less time in your day so you have time left over for other activities like hanging out with friends or watching TV.
Some other Exercise and Boredom Issues and their Solution:
Why Are Home Workouts Boring?
Workouts at home are boring because of the following reasons:
- Limited options of exercise equipment to workout with.
- Workouts at home are mostly alone.
- No gym membership costs, so people don’t really care about working out regularly at home.
- At home, it’s less motivating to push harder in workouts, which is pretty boring.
How To Make Exercise Fun?
Exercise is an activity that is not liked by many people. It can be boring, monotonous, and tedious. But there are ways to make exercise fun and interesting for people who are not naturally inclined towards it.
Some of the ways in which you can make exercise fun are:
- Add some variety to your routine by changing the exercises, intensity, or duration of your workout every few days.
- Play upbeat music while you’re working out to keep yourself motivated.
- Join a group fitness class like Zumba or yoga so that you have someone to work out with.
- Get a workout buddy who has the same goals as you do.
What To Do When You Lack The Motivation To Exercise?
To get motivated to exercise do the following things:
- Make a list of reasons why you want to be fit. It will help keep your goals in front of you every day.
- Change your environment. Get out of the house, get out of the gym and go somewhere else to exercise.
- Take a class, go on a walk, run around with your kids, or do something you’ve never done before.
- Go on a hike. Play tennis or soccer with friends at the park.
- Go for a bike ride in a new area.
- Take your dog for an extra-long walk or jog through the neighborhood.
Changing the environment or coming out of the loop of living the same life every day has a lot of positive impact on mood and will to do more in life.
Exercise can indeed get boring but there are ways to make it fun.
Avoiding these mistakes could help you stay motivated and keep your exercise routine interesting. If you’re still finding it hard to stay motivated, consider hiring a personal trainer or joining a gym with a friend who will make working out more fun for both of you.