When it comes to FPL budget defenders, usually the teams that are going to finish mid-table are packed with them. West ham, Brentford, and Brighton are prime examples of it.
At the start of the season, it was a bit tricky to predict the right budget players, but now we have enough data to present some good options.
In this guide, we are going to help you manage your team budgets by recommending the best budget defenders valued at £5.5m and under for season 2022-23.
Currently, there are more than 100 players that come under the radar of Budget Defenders.
Many of them are not even worth mentioning: some of them won’t play a minute, some are currently injured and some are out on loan.
After filtering out those players, listed below are our recommended best-budget defenders for season 2022/23 of the Fantasy Premier League.
The players we think are potentially underrated and can score some good points.
11 Best Budget Defenders (FPL 2022-23)
1. Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United)
- Price: £5.9m
Kieran Trippier is the best defender in Fantasy Premier League at the moment. He has already scored 96 points which is head and shoulders above 2nd placed Cancelo.
He is one of the top offensive right-backs in the world right now.
Trippier is low in FPL price and a potential assists sponge in the team. And what we saw against Manchester City, he can even score goals for you with a free kick.
Trippier previously had a great spell at Spurs before leaving for Athletico de Madrid to increase his chances for England selection.
But with Trent Alexander Arnold and Kyle Walker on the national side, it always seemed impossible that Trippier could grab a permanent spot.
At current form, he is the best-right back option for England.
As far as FPL is concerned, Trippier can easily score 150 plus points, even 200 if Newcastle United stays exciting like they have played football till now this season.
We recommend Trippier for your FPL teams for the following reasons:
- He has already scored 1 and provided 4 assists in the opening 16 games.
- Newcastle United is both defensively and offensively playing solid football.
- Trippier is averaging around 5 points a game till now.
- He is the best defender both in his price range and overall in the league.
2. William Saliba (Arsenal)
- Price: £5.3m
Looks like the Arsenal defender is the find of the season among FPL budget defenders, at least till now.
With his current form, William Saliba is a player to have in every FPL team. Not only he is a good budget defender but also an attacking threat evidently visible in the stats he has shown till now.
Those who haven’t transferred him in till now are maybe a bit late, but it’s always better to be late than never.
Saliba is one of our top recommendations among all budget defenders because of the following reasons:
- 2nd top scoring defender in FPL till now.
- His current price is just £5.3m, which is pretty low.
- Has already scored 2 and provided 1 assist in the opening 16 games.
3. Marc Cucurella (Chelsea)
- Price: £5.1m
The ongoing season is Marc Cucurella’s 2nd in the Premier League and 1st with Chelsea.
He scored and assisted 1 each last season and grabbed an overall 126 points in the FPL, which doesn’t look very impressive, but he was Brighton’s player of the season.
They finished 9th in the league, which is an achievement on its own for a club of that stature.
Cucurella and Trossard were the main engines of the team, and the Spaniard (Catalan to be precise!) is yet to show his prime best.
That 1st season was more of a settling-down season. He had issues with language and culture, but even then he ended the season as the best player on the team.
Now that he has moved to Chelsea, an even better defensive side in the Premier League, and with the offensive threat Cucurella can cause, he certainly is one of the best budget defenders and a potential breakout player for the season 2022-23.
Marc Cucurella is FC Barcelona’s academy graduate. He plays at left-back and has got all the flavors of going forward and helping the team in attack.
We recommend signing him into your teams for the following reasons:
- Attacking left-back who can provide a lot of assists.
- Has already provided 2 assists in 16 games.
- Chelsea’s upcoming fixtures till game week 18 have a fixture difficulty of 3 or lower.
4. Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace)
- Price: £4.5m
Crystal Palace is not defensively solid but Joachim Andersen surely is one of the best budget options in their back line for FPL.
He is among our top recommendations to sign as a budget defender because of the following reasons:
- He played for 2914 minutes last season and 2729 minutes in the season before. So getting minutes won’t be an issue, he is a starter.
- Andersen scored 124 points last season, which is a great number for a player of such low value.
- Joachim Andersen assisted 4 goals last season, so for sure he can also do more than just play and give you 2 points a game.
- He is currently the top-scoring defender for Crystal Palace with 39 points.
There was only 1 major reason not to add Joachim Andersen to your FPL team early on, and that was the opening 4 games against Arsenal, Liverpool, Aston Villa, and Manchester City.
Those games are past now, and Anderson has done more than good enough in those opening fixtures.
He is one of our top recommendations for fixtures till game week 19 because Crystal Palace’s all games till game week 19 are at fixture difficulty of 3 or below, and his price tag in FPL is just £4.5m.
5. Kyle Walker-Peters (Southampton)
- Price: £4.4m
Talent-wise Kyle Walker-Peters is one of the best right-backs in the Premier League. But the player is seeing a lot of ins and outs both because of injuries and bad performances in the last 2 seasons.
On 11th August 2020, Kyle Walker-Peters signed a permanent, five-year deal with Southampton for a reported fee of £12 million.
His greatest achievement to date is his 3 assists against Bournemouth making him the youngest player, aged 21 years, and 257 days to register 3 assists in a single game.
In the last 2 seasons, he has been a regular starter for Southampton even with injuries and bad performances, and it will be interesting to see how they continue their campaign this time around.
Quality-wise, Kyle Walker-Peters is a player who possesses a high threat of assists from the flank, and with the price tag of just £4.4m, he is one of the best options.
We recommend Kyle Walker-Peters to your FPL teams for the following reasons:
- He is an attacking right back playing 90 minutes regularly this season.
- Has already scored a goal in the opening 16 games, and is Southampton’s 2nd top-scoring defender in FPL.
- The fixture difficulty of Southampton till game week 23 is quite favoring.
6. Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion)
- Price: £4.7m
Besides a brief loan spell at Bristol City in 2013, Dunk has spent the entirety of his career at Brighton & Hove Albion.
His last season was not as good as the previous 2, where he scored 130 and 128 points, but he is a player of great potential playing for a team that is strong in defense.
Brighton finished 9th last season, and they are expected to do even better this time with the team more gelled and used to the Premier League environment.
Dunk or Veltman should be an integral part of every FPL team, they are not only budget defenders but some of the best defenders in the league with great potential of scoring big points.
We recommend Lewis Dunk as a budget defender for the following reasons:
- Brighton is strong defensively and Dunk can score a lot of clean-sheet points.
- He is a defender who can score goals.
- His value will go up throughout the season.
7. Gabriel (Arsenal)
- Price: £5.2m
Gabriel is a well-disciplined, rarely-booked goal-scoring defender who scored 5 times last season for Arsenal in the Premier League.
The way his stats improved in the last 2 seasons at Arsenal makes him an FPL asset at least to put on the watch list.
But we recommend going on and signing him into your teams because the reasons for doing it are too many:
- Arsenal is in top form top of the table in the Premier League.
- Gabriel is a regular starter who played 3063 minutes last season and started every game in the current season.
- He is a goal-scoring threat, has already scored 2 in the opening 16 games.
- And he is sure to grow in price because not many managers are considering him in their teams, with only 14.2% ownership currently.
8. Conor Coady (Everton)
- Price: £4.9m
Last season it seemed like Conor Coady is one right defender on the wrong team. He played 3361 minutes and scored 138 points for the Wolves.
The only bad thing in selecting him is that his only chance of scoring a goal or giving an assist is dependent on corners and distance free kicks.
Other than that he always stays at the back. Though last season Conor still scored 4 goals.
If you think Everton’s defense is strong enough to win clean sheets, then surely Conor Coady is a good budget defender for any FPL manager.
We recommend him as a budget defender for the following reasons:
- Top scoring defender in FPL among all Everton defenders.
- Has already scored and provided an assist in the opening 16 games.
- Coady is averaging around 4 points a game and a series of easy fixtures are coming up between game weeks 24 and 27.
9. Fabian Schär (Newcastle United)
- Price: £4.9m
Fabian Schär is not only a budget defender but also one of the best defenders in FPL in the ongoing season.
Points-wise, he is the top-scoring defender in his price range.
We recommend him for signing in your FPL teams for the following reasons:
- A sure starter and a massive threat to assist goals which are visible in his numbers.
- He has already scored a goal and averaged more than 4 points a game in the ongoing season.
- With the type of football Newcastle United is playing this season, Fabian Schär will surely score a lot of points in the games to come.
10. Vladimir Coufal (Westham United)
- Price: £4.1m
Coufal has been a regular starter for Westham United for the last 2 seasons. Due to a groin injury, he missed a big part of games last season but still played 2207 minutes.
Quality-wise, Vladimir Coufal is an offensive right-back, who is a great threat in terms of assisting the goals. He had 4 and 9 assists in the past 2 seasons scoring 70 and 128 points.
The things that made us pick him in our list of budget defenders are:
- His low price.
- The great potential for scoring points, and
- His team Westham United can beat any team on their day.
Best 4.5 Defenders in FPL:
Fabian Schär and Ben White for sure are the best 4.5 defenders in FPL in the ongoing season. Though Schär’s value is gone up to 4.9, Ben White is still available for £4.7m.
The thing that helped both these players in performing their best is the form of their teams Newcastle United and Arsenal.
Arsenal is top of the league while Newcastle United with one of the best defensive records in the ongoing season is currently 3rd in the league.
That’s all in FPL budget defenders.
Sign some of these players and fix your team now so that you can aim for the top 5% of managers list globally.
That’s the bracket where you can win the weekly, monthly, and season-end rewards.
To be successful in FPL, you always need a strategy to balance your team and play your best 11 in a way that if someone is not playing, a player from the bench can cover things up.
And to do that, you can’t fill your team with all the top and mid-value players because the budget won’t allow it and you can’t fill the team with all the cheap players either because then it will be impossible to score any good points.
We believe that a mix of these players can help you line up a solid FPL team with budget players who are at least starting the games.
So besides top players of the Premier League, you will need the gems that come at mid and low prices but are great squad players plus they have the potential to become the stars themselves.
And of course, you also need budget players, that not only fill your squad but are capable to contribute from the bench.
A good FPL defender is one who is playing out of position, playing regularly, and has a good offensive threat. Playing a player solely for a clean sheet is never a good idea.
Wishing you the best of luck in the ongoing season. 🙂